Hysteroscopy is one of the modern technology advancement that allows gynecologists to examine the inside of uterus. A hysteroscope is a narrow tube with a telescope at its end that allows visualization of inside of uterus. This procedure is often carried out by us as an at our affiliated hospitals at Delhi. Generally the procedure requires a short duration anesthesia and unless medically indicated patients are discharged the same day.
Dr. Meenakshi uses hysteroscopy both for diagnostic and operative purposes while managing patients with infertility problem or gynecology issues.
In diagnostic hysteroscopy, few indications where she may consider doing it are:
- to understand cause of abnormal bleeding, to get tissues from inside uterus, endometrial biopsy, to check for endometrial cancer.
- to check for any issues with scars inside uterus or abnormal growth inside uterus as part of infertility
- to find for any uterus related cause of repeated miscarriage
- find as well as remove small fibroids or polyps
As part of operative hysteroscopy, Dr. Sahu uses hysteroscopy at her affiliated hospitals at Delhi, to visualize and at the same time correct some of the abnormalities observed inside uterus. Some of the clinical problems that can have satisfactory results using hysteroscope are:
- removal of fibroids and polyps inside uterus
- removal of adhesions inside uterus. Also called as Ashermans syndrome, we have routinely diagnosed this condition in some of couples seeking infertility treatment. By using hysteroscopy one can identify these bands of scar tissues (adhesions) and can locate and revove it.
- For opening of tubes: If fallopian tubes are blocked near the ostia, hysteroscope can be used for opening of the blockade.