At Delhi, we specialize in various surgery treatment options for fibroids. We do surgery if there are severe symptoms in the form of uterine bleeding or size is big to cause mass-related symptoms, or if we feel that fibroid is the cause of recurrent pregnancy loss, or infertility. The various surgery treatment options for fibroids are : hysterectomy (uterus is removed), myomectomy (only the fibroid is removed and the other part of uterus is spared), or uterine artery embolization (blood supply to fibroids are cut), or endometrial ablation (the uterine lining is destroyed).
Laparoscopic myomectomy for fibroids at Delhi ? Laparscopic surgery for fibroids at Delhi ?
The team under leadership of Dr. Meenakshi Sahu, routinely conducts procedure for fibroids at Delhi. With our specialist team we perform minimal invasive surgeries for many of our patients suffering from gynecology disorders.
Myomectomy is a procedure during which fibroids are removed. This can be done by minimal invasive techniques:
- Hysteroscopic myomectomy: The operative instruments gain an entry to uterus via vagina, and with the surgical expertise the fibroids are cut out from the uterus, sparing the other parts of uterus. It is typically done for fibroids that protrude into the cavity of uterus.
- Laparoscopic myomectomy: We perform laparoscopic removal of fibroids at Delhi where indicated. Laparoscopic surgery is removal of fibroids using minimal invasive techniques. This is a procedure in which multiple small incision are made on the abdomen. Via such incisions, small operative instruments are inserted that shows the operative field to the surgeons, and the with the instrument that carry small scissors the fibroids are then taken out.
Laparoscopic myomectomy is technically difficult than the traditional open wound surgery. It requires special training and high degree of skills to handle laparoscopic instruments.
Hysterectomy for fibroids at Delhi ?
As a norm Dr. Meenakshi T. Sahu tries her best efforts to manage fibroids without the necessity of hysterectomy. She believes in the philosophy of saving uterus for any gynecology disorders. Unfortunately there are some distressing symptoms or indications in which the only procedure to maintain a good quality of life may be hysterectomy. She suggests hysterectomy on a case to case basis as a last resort.
Some examples where hysterectomy may be considered are :
- acute and heavy bleeding that does not respond to the right dose and type of medicine
- women who have completed child bearing and family complete, and have distressing significant symptoms
- women who have completed family and child bearing and have added risks of uterine or ovarian cancer.
We perform hysterectomy at Delhi both by open surgery as well as vaginal hysterectomy and minimal invasive surgery on a case to case basis . In majority of patients we do not remove the ovaries while doing the hysterectomy. There are set of international guidelines that we recommend and try follow in all cases while choosing to remove or spare ovaries. The entire surgical technique, pros and cons of each type of surgery and whether it is important to spare cervix or ovaries will be discussed in detail with you at our clinics at Delhi.