As per Dr. Sahu, "Always Plan before you act". So, If you are thinking of starting a family and pregnancy, the best time to meet a doctor is before you get pregnant. This is called as Pre- pregnancy Councelling - also called preconception councelling – in other words councelling before conception (which means getting pregnant).
As part of pre-pregnancy check up at Delhi, we will like to assess about issues if any that may affect being pregnant (conception) and the outcome of pregnancy.
Dr. Meenakshi T. Sahu and her team may like to address multiple issues that are important from pregnancy perspective. We may like to understand on lifestyle issues, medical issues, history of birth control measures, and any medical illness that runs in family.
Each individual merits a different approach and specific discusison. On a general outline, we discuss on the following:
- Medicine that you may be taking: If you are taking any medications that may influence pregnancy outcome- such as epilepsy medicine, psychiatry medicine, diabetes medicine, thyroid medicine, medication for lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or blood pressure etc. We may like to check if those medications are safe to be used through pregnancy or not.
- Medical Illness in you: Evaluate for any chronic disease which may influence pregnancy such as diabetes, thyroid, obesity, polycystic ovary disease (PCOD , PCOS), prolactin elevation, hormone disease, liver disease that may impact pregnancy.
- Multivitamin & Supplements: We will also discuss on multivitamin use , especially encouraging intake of folic acid.
- Diet & Lifestyle: Review of your diet and encourage intake of balanced diet.
- Weight discussion: Outline plans to obtain a healthy desired weight
- Habituation & Addiction: Assisting you to stop smoking and alchohol habituation if any.
- Family history: Understanding any family history of illness that may influence disease trait transmission to the baby, such as thalassemia, cystic fibrosis, mental retardation, muscular dystrophy etc.